County Government in Denton County
The county government of Denton County is similar to other counties in the DFW area. It is operated by a Commissioner’s Court which is similar to a city council. However, the commissioners on the court are elected judges by title. In Denton County the county judge nor the other commissioners on the court perform any judicial function. Their roles are purely administrative over the county government. They oversee the county budget, administrative agencies of the county and various administrative districts within Denton County. The county government has direct authority over unincorporated parts of Denton County; but no direct authority over the incorporated cities within the county.
Denton County Geography
Denton County is converting from a rural to a suburban county, providing bedroom communities to Dallas, Fort Worth and Plano. The county includes the cities of Argyle, Aubrey, Bartonville, Bolivar, Carrollton, Coppell, Copper Canyon, Corinth, Corral City, Cross Roads, Dallas, Denton, DISH, Double Oak, Elizabethtown, Flower Mound, Fort Worth, Frisco, Hackberry, Haslet, Hebron, Hickory Creek, Highland Village, Justin, Krugerville, Krum, Lake Dallas, Lakewood Village, Lewisville, Lincoln Park, Little Elm, Northlake, Oak Point, Pilot Point, Plano, Ponder, Prosper, Providence Village, Roanoke, Sanger, Shady Shores, Southlake, The Colony, Trophy Club and Westlake. Within Denton County are also several school districts including Argyle ISD, Aubrey ISD, Denton ISD, Lake Dallas ISD, Lewisville ISD, Little Elm ISD, Ponder ISD, Sanger ISD.
Courts in Denton County
Denton County is covered by courts at several judicial levels. The cities within the county operate municipal courts that preside over minor criminal offenses and violations of city ordinances. The county has multiple Justice of the Peace courts that preside over minor criminal offenses and some civil litigation. It has county courts at law that hear mid-range criminal offenses and certain civil matters. The county also has district courts that preside over the most severe criminal offenses and almost all types of civil litigation. Denton County courts are within jurisdiction of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals for Texas in Fort Worth. The county is also within the Northern District of Texas for federal courts.
Denton, Texas is a fast growing city and the capital of Denton County, Texas. It is part of the northernmost border of the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex and part of the larger North Texas Region.
Denton, Texas History in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area
Denton, like its neighbors in the DFW area, began to be settled by Anglo-American settlers in the 1840s. In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Denton County but the town did not become the county seat until 1857. Both the county and the city received names from for John B. Denton, a local lawyer and preacher killed in a Native American battle in what is now Tarrant County. Rails reached the town in 1881 and the city incorporated in 1866. Denton became a hub for agricultural trade in the county for a significant portion of its history.
In 1890 the University of North Texas was built in the town. In 1901 Texas Women’s University joined UNT. The two universities have a significant presence in the town.
In the twentieth century the town saw growth as a manufacturing hub with access to rail and I-35. Today it is a growing residential community as it is increasingly closer to more jobs with growth in the northern suburbs of Dallas and a growing desire for college students to remain in town.
Denton, TX laws & government
Denton receives services from its city and county governments. Students are primarily in Denton ISD with small portions of the city within Argyle ISD and Sanger ISD.
Little Elm, Texas
Little Elm, Texas is a small town in Denton County, Texas in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex primarily located on the north shores of Lake Lewisville. It is a suburb of Plano, Texas and considered an extended suburb of Dallas, Texas. The town neighbors Lake Lewisville, Frisco, The Colony, Hackberry, Prosper, Aubrey, Providence, Oak Point, Cross Roads, and Lakewood Village. Little Elm neighbors so many cities due to its unusual, sprawled shape. The town boasts the most shoreline of any city in the DFW area.
It is a rapidly growing community that had a population just over 3,000 in 2000 and now boasts a population over 30,000. If you are looking for a Dallas employment attorney or Dallas divorce attorney you should contact Texas lawyers to schedule a consultation.
Little Elm, TX: History North of Dallas
Little Elm has a long history in Texas; but mostly as a small town community until growth in the DFW area caused a population explosion. The town received its charter in 1841 from the Republic of Texas. At the time the predominate population was native tribes living along the creeks in the area. Little Elm remained sparsely populated until the late 1990s when growth in Plano and Frisco exposed Little Elm’s spacious shorelines as an opportunity for valuable housing communities. The population has since exploded over 600%. The town has been developed with a goal of retaining its small town feel and forestry environment with a large number of parks preserved in the city among the growing number of housing community. It could support a population as large as 90,000.
Little Elm, Texas Laws & Government
Little Elm operates a town government that incorporated in 1966. The town also receives services from Denton County and various state agencies. Students attend Little Elm ISD, Denton ISD and Frisco ISD, in addition to various private schools in the DFW area.
Lake Dallas, Texas
Lake Dallas, Texas is a small city in central Denton County, Texas. It is part of the DFW metroplex and the larger North Texas region although it is a suburb of Denton, Texas. The town closely associates with the other lake cities on the northern side of Lewisville Lake. The area now Lake Dallas has been inhabited by Anglo-American settlers in 1852 and Native Americans for far longer.
The Anglo settlers formed a cohesive community around 1881 known as Garza. Garza was near the Little Elm Reservoir which soon became Lewisville Lake. In the 1920s the government constructed Lewsville Lake. Garza found itself a lakefront community. Residents renamed the community Lake Dallas but did not incorporate until 1965 after a nine year legal battle. Today the town remains a small community that is primarily a bedroom community for workers in Denton, Dallas and the northern suburbs.
Northlake, Texas is a small town in Denton County, Texas on the northwest corner of Grapevine Lake near the intersection of Interstate 35-W and state road 407. It is in between Fort Worth and Denton along 35-W, approximately ten mile north of Westlake, Texas. Northlake is a small town of approximately seventeen square miles and just over 2,000 residents. Students attend Northwest ISD and various local private schools.
Employment lawyers in Northlake, Texas help employees recover for employment law claims under federal and Texas law. Employment lawyers in Fort Worth, Dallas and surrounding cities like Adam Kielich represent clients in EEOC hearings, lawsuits, arbitrations and other venues. If you believe you have an employment law claim then you should contact Texas employment lawyers right away. Employment law claims include wrongful termination, employment discrimination, unpaid overtime and FMLA claims. Many employment law claims have short statutes of limitations so contact employment lawyers right away if you believe you have a claim.
Northlake, Texas: Part of Denton County History
The town incorporated in 1960 as a rural community. The original city map was described as children’s blocks connected by strings. It incorporated initially to preserve the rural space from annexation from other cities, particularly Denton and Fort Worth. The city began by incorporating several ranches and the roads that connected the ranches of the original citizens. As the city grew it filled in many of the areas to form a more solid city map. The town now includes residential and business space.
Lewisville, Texas is a mid-sized city in Denton County, Texas. It is part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and the larger North Texas region. The town is a suburb of Dallas although its neighbors are Lake Dallas, The Colony, Hebron, Carrollton, Coppell, Grapevine, Flower Mound and Highland Village. It is the namesake of Lewisville Lake and shares a border with it.
Lewisville, Texas and its History with Dallas-Fort Worth
The town’s history is similar to its neighbors in Denton County, beginning in the 1840s. The area that is now Lewisville was first settled by Anglo-American settlers in the 1840s. Named Holford’s Prairie after one of the settlers, in 1853 it changed after Basdeal Lewis bought out Holford’s property. The small community developed around farming. Denton County’s first cotton gin was built in Lewisville in 1867. In 1881 rail service came to the town. The town incorporated in 1925 and public services, particularly paved streets, became a focus of city government. Lewisville continued as a primarily rural community through the construction of Lewisville Lake in the 1950s.
Construction of DFW Airport in the 1970s to the south brought a boom to the local economy due to its proximity to the airport. The town became a convenient location for businesses and homeowners looking for a short commute to north Irving and other nearby areas also experiencing a commercial boom due to the airport. Today it continues to grow with both commercial and residential development.
Justin, Texas is a small town in southwest Denton County, Texas with a small portion in Wise County. It is part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metropolitan area and the larger North Texas region. The town is near the northernmost portions of Fort Worth near the Texas Motor Speedway.
Justin’s history begins in the mid-nineteenth century. In 1848 the area now within the town was settled by French utopian settlers; however, the settlement failed. Other settlers from American states and other parts of Texas settled in the area. In 1887 residents asked postal authorities to create a post office and name it Justin after an engineer on the local rail line.
The town remained a small farming community for most of its history. In the twentieth century the town had salvage businesses. In the 1970s the largest salvage yard liquidated assets to produce western clothing. The other two major salvage yards closed shortly after. Today the town has a growing population due to suburban sprawl and proximity to the Texas Motor Speedway.
Roanoke, Texas in Denton County
Roanoke, Texas is a town in south Denton County with a small portion in Tarrant County, Texas. It is part of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and the larger North Texas region surrounded by Justin, Argyle, Lantana, Haslet, Trophy Club, Fort Worth, Keller and Westlake. Due to its collection of independent restaurants it has obtained the nickname “Unique Dining Capital of Texas”.
Roanoke’s history dates back to 1847 when Anglo-American settlers arrived in the area. They initially settled north of present-day Roanoke in a settlement named Garden Valley. Flooding from Denton Creek made the community undesirable. Settlers began moving south to the present location of the town. In 1881 rail lines developed through the area. The surveyor named the area after his home in Virginia. The town was largely a cattle center for its early history. By the mid-twentieth century it became a manufacturing center which continues through today. Roanoke is experiencing an expanding population due to suburban growth into the northern suburbs of Fort Worth.
Highland Village, Texas
Highland Village, Texas is a small city in Denton County on the southwest shores of Lewisville Lake (or Lake Lewisville) near Lewisville and Flower Mound in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. It is primarily a residential community although some commercial development is taking place, expanding the tax base and desire to move into the area. Highland Village is known for its annual hot air balloon festival sponsored by the Lions Club.
Highland Village incorporated in 1963 on the decision of local residents to create a permanent community. The area was primarily vacation homes for local professionals but also included one ranch. Through the 1970s Highland Village grew quickly to accommodate its population’s desire for a more relaxed feel for Dallas lifestyle. The city’s growth since its incorporation has primarily included residential communities and businesses supporting the local population. The city’s maximum population should fill the city at 18,000 and is already over 15,000.
Corinth, Texas is a city on the west side of Lewisville Lake in Denton County, Texas. It is part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex in the larger North Texas area. It is a suburb of Denton, Texas. The city is surrounded by the cities of Denton, Hickory Creek and Lake Dallas. Corinth’s history dates back to some of the early settlements in the area that now sits on the western shores of Lewisville Lake. The first settlement in the area dates back to 1843 (Bridges Settlement); but sources suggest the area that is now Corinth did not form as a town until 1880 when a railway came through the area. The town remained a rural community for most of its history and did not incorporate until 1960. It is now largely a middle class suburb feeding employers in the Dallas and northern suburb areas.
Argyle, Texas is a small town in Denton County in between Denton and Fort Worth. It is on the outskirts of the Dallas/Fort Worth region and part of the larger North Texas region. The master planned community of Lantana receives services through Argyle. The town began settlement by American settlers in the 1850s. The community grew slowly and went through several names. In 1881 the T&P railroad was built through the community with a stop. The community remained a small rural town and suffered through the Great Depression. It incorporated in 1960. Today the town has a growing population due to suburban sprawl and the desire for some DFW residents to live in a more rural small town.
The Colony, Texas
The Colony, Texas is a city in southeast Denton County, Texas. It is part of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and the larger North Texas region. The Colony is surrounded by Lewisville Lake, Lewisville, Plano, Frisco and Carrollton. The city has a large suburban housing base with a growing commercial base as well, particularly along Texas Highway 121.
The Colony is a relatively new city in the DFW area. It has been settled by American settlers since the time of the Republic of Texas but did not become a city in its own right until the mid-twentieth century. In 1969 housing developers Fox and Jacobs began developing plans to develop land within what is now The Colony with housing developments. Their goal for this farmland was to create housing developments grouped into colonies with the overall community modeled on Dallas.
By 1973 they had purchased the land and began building. In 1976 one of the original home owner associations within the area petitioned Frisco to remove the housing developments from its extra-jurisdictional control.
In 1977 the area incorporated into a city. Residents desired the name Colony but because another town retains the name in Texas they elected The Colony. In 1987 the adjacent city of Eastvale merged with The Colony. Today the city continues to grow both as a residential community and a commercial region.
Carrollton, Texas in Denton County
Carrollton, Texas is a large suburb in the northern suburbs of Dallas, Texas. It is within Dallas County, Denton County and Collin County. It is part of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex and the larger North Texas region. Carrollton often suffers from misspellings such as Carollton and Carrolton.
Carrollton, Texas History near Dallas, Texas
Carrollton’s history is similar to many of its neighbors in Dallas, Denton and Collin counties. Anglo-American settlers reached the area in the 1840s and began settling in several farming communities in what is today Carrollton. Settlers from Illinois built a settlement on the north side of the present-day town in Denton County. Historians believe their home city had the same name in that state. The area was well-farmed but gently populated until rail lines were built to the area, spurring more growth. In 1913 the town incorporated. Around the same time gravel businesses arrived and it became a “grain and gravel” city through the 1940s.
After World War 2 growth accelerated as suburban growth from Dallas expanded past the Dallas city limits into nearby suburbs like Carrollton. Growth continued at a rapid pace through the 1970s and 1980s as commercial growth in the DFW region expanded with construction of DFW Airport and commercial expansion along the Stemmons corridor. Today it is one of the largest suburbs in the Dallas-Fort Worth area but retains its own commercial sector.
Bridgeport, Texas is the second largest town in Wise County, Texas. It is part of the North Texas region, sitting northwest of Fort Worth and west of Denton.
Bridgeport’s history began as part of a mail route in the 1850s between St. Louis and San Francisco. This particular route passed through North Texas in which the mail carrier had to cross the west fork of the Trinity River. In 1860 the government chartered the construction of a toll bridge over the Trinity River near present day Bridgeport. In 1873 the town replaced the original wood bridge with an iron bridge and built a post office. This was the beginning of a town in the area. The Rock Island Railway laid tracks one mile east of the small town. The railway decided to move the town next to the railway to take advantage of easy access to transportation.
In 1931 a dam was constructed over the river to form Lake Bridgeport. The city has traditionally been supported by the mining and drilling industries with coal, oil, gas and limestone in the area. Today the town economy continues to the support of oil, gas and limestone industries.
Decatur, Texas is the county seat of Wise County, Texas. It resides northwest of Fort Worth and is part of the outer northwest boundary of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. It is part of the greater North Texas region.
Decatur became an important town when in 1856 the Texas Legislature created Wise County. It allowed Absolam Bishop to establish the location of the county seat at or near the center of the county. He selected the location of present-day Decatur. Bishop preferred the town layout of McKinney and opted to model the town on it. The original name for the town at the location was Taylorsville; but the name changed in 1858 to Decatur after navel hero Stephen Decatur. The town suffered from native raids through the mid and late nineteenth century.
Today it is a small town compared to Fort Worth or Dallas but provides a nice mixture of county lifestyle and modern convenience. The community is directly connected to the northern parts of Fort Worth by state highway 114 which runs directly into the heart of Dallas.